Saturday, November 7, 2009

It Is a Team Effort

Six weeks...Today Andrew pulled off his colostomy bag so they had to redo his wound vac. They usually sedate him for this process but I convinced them that he could do it without. It doesn't hurt but he had to hold still for an hour. His front wound looks really small and good. Tina from the wound team then worked on his three other wound sights. They used something called Medihoney. If you put it on a wound it pulls the bad stuff up and out. We were really pleased with everything they accomplished for Andrew. Ariel, Aaron, Kortny and Amanda took turns hanging out with Andrew. We took off for a couple of hours to get some things done. Aaron played play station 2 with Andrew. Ariel played a card game. Kortny played with Amanda. This is a real team effort. I was able to get a hair cut and color and do some laundry. It is stupid but don't ya feel better when your hair looks good? Later as the Ute game was going on, Ariel and I took Andrew for a ride around the hospital. We ended up running into Andrew's friends from KJH. Taylor Edward's mom brought them up even though she had just endured a foot surgery and was on crutches. They brought Andrew a cool poster, the game ball from the winning game at district for KJH girl's volleyball (signed), a video of their season, and a book (Christmas Jars) and jar of money. When I heard that they were giving the game ball to Andrew, I cried. What a bunch of awesome friends! They wrote his name on their arms at their games. They gave Andrew a hug before leaving. Andrew doesn't really feel like smiling. It makes me hurt inside when I notice. Today he felt discouraged. I reminded him that it hasn't even been a week since he left the ICU and yet he can walk 30 ft with a walker. He said "I need to be patient." Isn't that something we all need to learn. If I could, I would speed this up to the happy ending. But that is not the purpose of life. We need to learn in small increments. Small steps of faith. Andrew is beginning to look at pictures from the past weeks. It is important for him to know. We just want him to see that this was an accident and that he will find happiness again. Our Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. We will work to help Andrew be happy once again! We know that he can with the help of the comforting spirit of our Father in Heaven and great friends.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like Andrew is doing so well. It's a long road, but hopefully the hardest part is over. Will and I would love to come up to PCMC or your home and help you get some pictures on the blog. I know everyone would love to see Andrew's progress. Let us know when a good time is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is Joe Winward. My parents came down to visit last week and told me all about Andrew. Me and my family are praying for you. Keep on pushing through.
    Love
    Joe and Karrissa Winward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol. We sure appreciate your help. My other son figured out how to post pictures so I think we're good for now. You guys are wonderful folks. We love and appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete