Monday, November 16, 2009

Pinch, Poke and Release

We had a nice day today. First thing this morning, Andrew said "so what do I have to do to get out of here?" I thought that showed the correct attitude. Basically, he has to get stronger and go to his classes for longer periods of time. The nurse came in and handed me the shot needle. She said "I heard you want to learn how". Ok. I thought. I usually close my eyes when I see shots on tv. They gave me a handout to read and then turned me lose. Andrew gave me a vote of confidence by saying "If you hurt me, I'll kill you". The paper was missing an important point. It said pinch the skin, poke, release the skin and empty the syringe. So I pinched, poked, and released the skin. Oops! The needle came out. You have to follow the skin back with the needle. I felt so bad. I had to do it again. This time it worked great. I never said I was nurse material. Grandma Spilker came up just in time for me to shower while Andrew went to his therapy classes. He is getting a little stronger every day. Sitting and standing is a big effort. Andrew climbed stairs again and shot a few basketballs. Today is shower day for Andrew. Afterwards, the wound team changed his wound vacs. Things looked great. He is healing nicely. Andrew went to a class this afternoon. It took a great effort but he did it. The hospital chaplains visit us every day. They are wonderful people who volunteer their time to spread hope and faith. They were praying with Andrew when I came up from picking up dinner. Andrew understands that prayer has been a huge factor in his recovery. This evening we watched a movie. Andrew chose "Waterboy" again. The goal is to get Andrew home in time for Thanksgiving. We are praying that things will come together for this to happen. Alex is coming home for the holiday. It would be the best thing ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment