Monday, November 9, 2009

Take Good Care of Yourself

After a good night of sleep, today started with speech therapy for Andrew. Andrew did a little paper work. Next, he had occupational therapy. This is where you brush your teeth, get dressed etc. and then they played a game. After that, Ariel took Andrew on a walk outside. It was really beautiful and Andrew enjoyed the sun on his face. Next, it was time for physical therapy. They played connect four. After that, Andrew lifted a four-pound weight doing some reps and then he walked to the door. Andrew was exhausted so they came back and took a nap. Ariel turned on Twilight, the movie, while he slept. Today was wound vac change day, so he was able to have a shower. About this time, I arrived at the hospital. I had to go have labs for my thyroid issue. Earlier, at 7:00 a.m., I woke up to a call from the hospital. They asked if they could do his wound vacs without anesthesia. I agreed that I thought he could handle it. As the wound team got ready, Tony, from child life, got Andrew to laugh and smile. The first laugh I have heard. In addition to humor, Tony also helps with relaxation. When it was time for the procedure, Ariel put on a little Michael Buble' and Andrew fell asleep through the entire procedure. Andrew's wounds continue to get smaller and to fill in. Everyone gets so excited about it. I watched Water Boy, the movie, with Andrew. Then, I fell asleep. In the evening, we had a visit from Emily and Ian from PICU. Ian was able to answer some of Andrew's questions. They had a nice visit. Later, we had a visit from a wonderful PCMC chaplain that we have known for some time. She hadn't seen Andrew for a week. Andrew had his foot resting on the other knee. We noticed that she walked past his room and then finally walked in. She said, "Andrew?" She couldn't believe it. He looks so good!! I just want to say that we have had the best nurses at PCMC. The PICU is exceptional for saving and stabilizing really injured and sick people. The NTU is exceptional for rehabilitating a sick or injured person. One of the surgeons commented that Andrew's story is as close to the resurrection as you get. He has been amazed with Andrew's progress. So as I reflect on everything that we have experienced, I have come away with a new respect for the body. Sometimes we take for granted that we will have good health no matter what we do. As I have watched the medical folks literally fight for Andrew's life, I wonder why we aren't more careful about our bodies. Lately, I decided to cut down on my sick addiction to Diet Coke. I now go for the DCFDP... Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper. Never take you health for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment