Monday, November 2, 2009

Let Me Be Myself

Today was a busy day for Andrew. First the wound team changed his wound vacs. They looked really good. They put a patch of collagen over the back wound to stimulate healing. The results from his CT scan showed that he has a large blood clot near the veina cava where the bullet knicked it. They have doubled his dose of blood thinner. The more movement he has now the better. I watched him brush his own teeth. He threw his Jazz ball to me, sometimes at me. His nurses name was Susan today. When she went into the hall while he wanted some water, he called her name. "Susan, Susan". She ignored him so he call "Suzie, Suzie". A little later, he was throwing a fit when the Geico (cavemen) commercial came on. He stopped fussing and starting singing, "Let me by myself. If you want to, let me by myself... . " After that we watched some hockey on the tv. I got him to sleep for a 1/2 hour. He only slept for an hour last night. Tonight they are going to double his dose of sleeping meds. We got him into his wheelchair and took him for a spin out to the angel garden. Then we took a tour of the NTU wing where his new room will be tomorrow. He will have a nice view. We went into the rehab gym. He wanted to know where the hot tub was. Tonight he listened to some of the Jazz while watching the World Series on the tv. Tomorrow we have a big meeting with the medical staff about the move and what is next for Andrew. Andrew is getting stronger everyday. Just beware of the flying pillows. There are so many children in need up here. If you are feeling self-absorbed visit a children's hospital. It will cure you real fast! Be happy, life is good!

1 comment:

  1. What great news! After all that time in a bed and now throwing pillows. I have three boys myself and understand the throwing at you concept. The progress he is making makes me happy. A couple of weeks ago I was worried and now he seems to be making such great progress! That is great!

    Debbie Hadlock

    ReplyDelete