Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's Just Window Dressing

Today Andrew had his wound vacs changed. It takes about an hour. He has to hold still so it feels longer to him. Everything is healing well. The wound team does a great job. The surgeon stopped in twice yesterday and twice today. He is a really great doctor. Andrew is his wonderboy so he likes to keep an eye on him. The NG tube is working well. Hopefully we will notice a difference in the next two days. They weigh him every two days. He has gained five pounds since the last time. Andrew tries to sit up as much as he can stand during the day. Ashley and Dustin spend the afternoon with Andrew. We took him outside to see baby Harper. I had Harper wrapped in a Ute's blanket. It was cold out so I decided to put a beanie on him. The only beanie that I had was a Y beanie. So I took him out like that knowing that his dad wouldn't appreciate that. Both Ashley and Dustin were in Ute sweat shirts. Pretty funny! We spent the evening watching a movie. I have enjoyed spending extra time with Andrew. We are looking forward to the big homecoming! Tomorrow we have the care conference. We will know better what our time table is. We are so thankful for the cards with words of encouragement. Andrew enjoys hearing from people. I know so many people at the hospital now. I can't go two steps without having to stop and talk to someone. "How's Andrew?" I even ran into a mom from Kaysville who is in our unit for swine flu. Andrew has come a long way but he still has a lot to conquer. We hope that he will have a good transition to home. The holidays are upon us. I usually worry about a lot of little stuff. This year I have learned that if you have your family around you, that is as good as it gets!! All the "stuff" is just window dressing. Open your eyes as see how much you have really been blessed. Some people get down at Christmas. Serving other people is the answer. There are people in real tough situations waiting for someone to care. We are so blessed to have love and support. Thanks to all!

3 comments:

  1. Andrew, (Michelle and Family),

    I don't want to let the days go by and not share with you an appreciation I have "revisited" for your family though this experience. I know that may sound strange - that I appreciate you, young Nephew Andrew - and your family as you go through this, and that I am revisiting an appreciation shared in the past, but as you have healed and had prayers answered, perhaps I can explain about a time your family shared prayers with me that were answered and most meaningful. A number of years ago when I was involved in a "war" of my own, out away from what was my "normal" life, and "on my own" at times going through things that can be "kind of scary" (in my case, it was a long deployment in the military away from home to a war zone) your family shared with me your heartfelt prayers for my safety and care. I was made very aware of that daily prayer and knew that Heavenly Father had the young Spilker kiddos - my neices and nephews - and family praying daily for my health and well-being! It dawns on me that the Lord puts families together for a reason! As Aunt Janice and I have prayed for and watched your miracle of recovery unfold, and watched your family close in around you, I recall the warm embrace of your family in prayer around me as I was experiencing life in unusual circumstances once - and I appreciate YOU and your present struggle - and your family for that strength. So you see, when your Mom says that all else is "window dressing" and having your family around you is as good as it gets, she really knows what she is talking about! Never forget that. I know I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I got up to see him and it was my pleasure to cut his hair!!! I am so greatful for the progress he has made. We will see you this weekend Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! God gave us great family on both sides. Randall read your comments to Andrew tonight. They came at the perfect time. Max, Andrew would love to have a picture of you in uniform to put by his bed. We are so proud of your distinguished service for our country.

    ReplyDelete