Monday, October 12, 2009

Faith vs Fear

At 9:00 a.m. we received a call that Andrew was headed into surgery. They had a cancellation so his surgery was moved up. We arrived at the hospital when the surgery was underway. He was in there for a long time. When the surgeon finally came out, it was with good news. They were able to apply the device that will move his abdomen back together. It will take from 3-7 days. The device as it was described to me, sounded like a fabric corset. Every two days they will remove the black suction sponge thing off and tighten the corset. Then it took a 1/2 hour to turn him over to operate on his back wound. They were able to suture up some of his wound. Then they placed a piece of special stuff (it is like human skin that has been treated and looks like leather) over the exit wound. The hope is that it will become part of his body. The surgeon and his team are excellent. He told me that he thinks about Andrew every night. Then he always says "He's still here"! We took turns holding his hand as he recovered from surgery. He is kept under anesthesia heavily because he is so strong and fidgety. Today it felt good to move to improvement instead of just damage control. Bishop and Sister Quist came up and brought us some food. We had a nice chat. Later as I reflected on today in comparison to yesterday. I recognized the difference between faith and fear. Our children recognized that we were feeling down yesterday. They expressed their feelings of faith and hope. I feel very blessed to be lifted by my children in a time of need. I feel very blessed knowing that God is aware of each one of us!

5 comments:

  1. Michelle, hang in there - it's so so hard. My heart is breaking for you. I'm so happy that your surgeon communicated his hope and plan for Andrew. What a blessing to have your children lift you up when down. It's so easy to slip into fear mode when lacking adequate rest - and rest is so difficult when living in the PICU keeping vigil over our children. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get some. I'm praying for you, Randall, Andrew, and your family. I know that Andrew has probably received numerous blessings - don't forget that you might need a few also - I don't have to tell you about the power of the preisthood. Your Alex bore a beautiful testimony regarding it's power Sunday in Sacrament Meeting. You and Randall are raising a wonderful family. Sending our love...

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about faith and fear. It is amazing to me to feel the power of prayer! We keep Andrew in our prayers everyday-We will pray specifically for your family to continue to feel faith and not fear. Love you guys! Gary, Carolyn and Matt Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and Randall, we have been following Andrew's recovery and wish you all the best. You and Andrew are in our thoughts and prayers. It is one of life's hardest things to watch this kind of thing happen to a son or daughter. --Randon and Sheila Wright

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many miracles in medicine. What a blessing! We are glad to hear that progress is being made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of Andrew's accident and want you to know you've been in my thoughts and prayers. I live in the same ward as the Park family and have been so uplifted by their faith and sweet spirit. I want you to know that I'm a firm believer of Faith, Priesthood Blessings and the power of prayer. Our Little Grandaughter (Kaidence Stephenson)spent 7 months in ICU at Primary Children's hospital while waiting for a heart transplant. I know angels walk that hospital and I also know the Lord loves each of us and we're strengthened thru our own trials and the trials others face. I pray that the Lord will continue to bless your family with the strengthen needed at this time. I also pray that Andrew will continue to move forward with his recovery. I agree with you, it's a long process, stay strong and the Lord will bless you.

    Denise Maddock

    ReplyDelete