Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Gatorade Emergency

Last night was really tough. We sat with Andrew for a long time. He was having bad withdrawals from the meds. He kept trying to pull out stuff. We had to restrain him. It was hard for me. Even after all this time, he is still quite strong. Finally, I was exhausted and told the nurse to tie him up! We slept in a little this morning and when we called his room, we learned that he had been sitting in a chair by his window for 2 hours. We ran upstairs to see him sitting there. First, he gave Randall a hug. Then I got a hug from him. This was the moment I have been waiting for, for so long. Next, he asked for some gatorade. They had to take him to radiology to check his swallowing. They gave him different textures with barium in it. What we saw on the screen was his skeletal image and the fluids going down his throat. It reminded me of that scene from Pirates of the Caribbean. So he got the go ahead to drink a small amount every hour. The surgical team changed his wound vac's this afternoon. He was so tired that they only gave him 5 ml of medicine while doing so. Everything looked great! The surgeon is really happy. When they were done, we sat with him again. I walked in with a drink. He asked me to bring it to him. I said "it's diet". Yuck. Then he said, I want a slurpie. We weren't sure that he could have one. So Andrew said, "bring me your phone." I said, "who do you want to call?" I called Ashley for him. The first thing he said to her is "bring me a slurpie!" Ian, Andrew's wonderful nurse, went and found one for him. Next, they took an ultrasound of his leg. The leg had previously had the canula in it. They were checking blood flow. Andrew became concerned when they were conversing about the results. He said, "oh, no! I am paralyzed!" We all started laughing and told him "no, you're not!" Andrew said to Randall "look in my mouth" so Randall looked in it. Andrew said "I want a drink." Grandma S. put lotion on his hands. Grandpa talked to Andrew about the Jazz game. Tracy Webb, our friend from Germany, came by and told Andrew that soon she will play him in basketball. She told him that she won't give him any sympathy just because he's been in the hospital. She said, "I'll take ya!" Andrew reached up and took her hand in a grip and pulled her toward him to show her that he's still got it! Then Andrew decided that he doesn't like pink or red gatorade. He wants blue! So I called Ashley and told her that we were having a gatorade emergency. She and Dustin ran up some blue gatorade to Andrew. Randall had Andrew count while he stretched his leg out. Then they talked about what Andrew can do when he is not feeling well i.e., relax, breath, stretch, and pray. So Randall said, "should we have a prayer?" "Yes!" "Who do you want to say it?" "Dustin". So Dustin proceeded to pray and Andrew said amen before it was over. Then he said "that was the best prayer ever!" It has been wonderful to interact with Andrew again. We want to thank Randall's work for the help and cooperation with Randall's work schedule. So many wonderful people are helping us to be able to be there for Andrew. We appreciate Grandpa Spilker letting us have access to the trailer. He is awesome! Andrew sat in a chair for nearly 4 hours today. He brushed his own teeth. He started eating and drinking. I used to take small, simple things for granted. We sat there and got all excited over Andrew taking a sip of Gatorade. We are so grateful!!! Just a note: we received word that people out of state are unable to access the donation account for Andrew. Randall is working on a solution. We will let you know when we have it. Right now, it is only possible to access it locally.

10 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you guys for a second at the hospital. Andrew looked awesome and it sounds like he is even better today. In regards to the dontaion account, you could add a paypal button on the blog that people could donate through. You can transfer money straight from your paypal account to your bank account. I know several blogs that have them for the same purpose that you would be using it for. I know how to add the button if you would like help or more info. Just let me know. Loves to you guys! Lichelle Perry

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS You can call or e-mail me if that is easier...trentandlichelle@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Spilkers,
    We are praying hard out here in Ohio for Andrew and for all of you. I spent the evening reading through your blog and cannot believe the strength you all have. Andrew must be a strong boy and your family is tough in so many other ways to endure all you've gone through! Please say hi to Tracy Webb for us. Once I read that Tracy was one of the nurses I knew that Andrew was in the right place. We'll pray for continued blessings for all of you. Mary-Anne Pesci

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thrilled for your day of "firsts". It sounds like Andrew is doing great! We hope that you have lots more days like today! Please let us know if we can do anything.
    Carol and Will

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is so full today I can hardly contain myself. All I wanted to do was cradle him in my arms, since that was not possible the next best thing was to lotion his feet and hands. We love him so much and are so thankful to the Lord for his healing influence and guiding hands of doctor's and nurses. Thank you friends and ward members,for your prayer's. It's not going to be long Andrew and we will get that wheel chair and get you home. Remember you are not a stone but a ROCK. g-ma & g-pa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tears in my eyes right now. That is AMAZING. Simply amazing. I hope I can come and visit him again soon! I send my love and prayers! Andrew you are the toughest kid I know, keep on fighting! Heavenly Father definitely has a plan for you, here with us. Love you kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with grandma and callie, my eyes are filled with tears. Michelle it is so true we take those simple things like sipping a drink for granted. The Lord has definately been very mindful of Andrew and the family. I am so greatful for prayer and fasting. Andrew you are an amazing young man and we love you so much!!! We continue to pray for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Technology can truly be a gift from God! We have truly felt of the power of prayer and friendship as we have continued to read of Andrew's continued progress. It is wonderful to read of your faith and testimony during the trials we all must experience in mortality. Our continued prayers are with ya'll from the Chatlands in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so thrilled at the progress we read about each day. It is a testimony of the power of prayer to our little family as the kids check on the blog to see how you are doing! So thankful for the powers of God on the earth today! You are in our prayers and thoughts! Hope to meet you someday!

    Colleen Spilker-Henderson & Family

    ReplyDelete